HUSKY STRONG NEWSLETTER:
Hillcrest High School, Midvale, Utah
*In this Husky Strong, you will find information about: Upcoming Events, Senior Updates, Winter Clothing Drive, Community Schools, PTSA Information, Flyers *
Keep up with all that is happening at Hillcrest High School. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram (@hillcrest.huskies) and our SBO Instagram (@hillcrestsbo)
*Important class of 2024 graduation information, please read.
Dear Seniors and Parents,
Believe it or not, it’s time to get graduation caps and gowns, tassels, graduation announcements, and your Senior 2024 swag ordered this week. Seniors should have received a graduation packet that was handed out during the graduation meeting.
*Extra graduation flyers and forms are available in the attendance and counseling office.
TWO EASY WAYS TO ORDER:
- Order at school on WEDNESDAY, OCT 18th, from 10:45 am-1:15 pm in the commons.
- Choose one of the online ordering options below and click the link.
PLEASE ORDER ON OR BEFORE WEDNESDAY, OCT 18th.
- Option 1. Order your cap and gown as part of a graduation announcement and celebration package, including photo cards, senior swag, and cap and gown. Choose and click option 1 HERE.
- Option 2. Order your cap and gown unit only. Or, order cap and gown and other graduation/celebration items individually, such as the exclusive mascot tassels, graduation announcements, or swag. (cap and gown unit only, scroll halfway on the web page) Choose and click option 2 HERE
- Option 3. Order a graduation class ring along with your graduation products. Choose and click option 3 HERE
- Option 4. Choose from several Letter Jacket options – customize and order your jacket by clicking on the link in option 4 HERE. Order your jacket by Oct. 18 for pre-Christmas delivery
*NOTE- all tassels, caps, and gowns will be delivered in your custom school colors. Exclusive custom mascot tassel will be your exclusive mascot.
Thank you, and if you have any questions, please contact Jostens directly at Bryan.email@example.com or 801-766-6754
Congratulations on your achievement!
Utah College Application Week (UCAW)
Seniors! Utah College Application Week (UCAW) is October 30 through November 2 – Hillcrest will have representatives visiting from colleges and universities from across the state of Utah to help you fill out college applications and answer any questions you may have about the college experience. The best part? The college applications are FREE! You will need: your social security number (if you have one), your driver’s license/ID number (if you have one), and a list of your extracurricular/volunteer activities (if you have them). If you have any questions about UCAW, or would like more information, see your counselor or the College Access Advisor, Halle Meckl firstname.lastname@example.org
The SLCC Multicultural Conference field trip will be held on November 10. It is open to Juniors and Seniors – if you are interested in attending, please contact email@example.com.
The UVU Multicultural Center will be coming to Hillcrest during APPn on October 25 in the Presentation Room. They will be presenting on resources available to students, including scholarships and financial aid information. Come see what UVU has to offer!
Jordan High School has extended its “Puertas Abiertas” to our Hillcrest families. Jordan High is hosting a Spanish college informational session on October 26th starting at 6:30 pm. The session will include free dinner and informational sessions. Speakers will include the University of Utah and Salt Lake Community College Dream Centers. These centers help undocumented students find ways to access college. Jordan High School is located at 95 Beetdigger Blvd in Sandy.
“ATTENTION STUDENTS WHO HAVE ALREADY SIGNED UP FOR THE PSAT EXAM: The test will take place on Oct 25th at 7:30 AM in the small gym. Please be on time. BRING a fully charged, school-issued Chromebook, a Photo ID, and a pen or pencil. DO NOT bring a cell phone or other electronics. Get a good night’s sleep and eat a good breakfast, and we’ll see you on Oct 25th at 7:30 AM in the small gym for the PSAT exam.”
ATTENTION STUDENTS INTERESTED IN AP EXAMS: The deadline to sign up for your AP exams without incurring late fees is Wednesday, November 8th, at 3:00 pm. Don’t put it off. Sign up for your AP exams now to avoid those late fees. If you need help, see Mrs. Williams in A139 in the counseling center.
FALL Job Shadow Day on Oct 25th
Canyons District Job Shadow Day will be held this fall on Oct 25th. Students from all of Canyons schools will be attending. These are high school seniors going to different locations. Huntsman Cancer Institute, Hamilton Park Interior, Historical Arts and Castings, and Thanksgiving Point. There are still a few spots left, one at Filevine in marketing, one at Bridal Up Hope for psychology, and The Sign Hub for graphic design.
If you are a high school senior and are interested in any of these job shadows with high-wage and high-demand fields, please contact Cher Burbank by email firstname.lastname@example.org or come pick up an application. Or follow this job shadow link to sign up.
Community Wellness Fair
November 8th, 5 pm-7:30 pm, is our annual community wellness fair! Join us for a fun night of free food, flu shots, childhood immunizations, free student haircuts, and community resources. All are welcome!
Win the Leavitt Lotto! Students can enter the Leavitt lotto with Husky Cards earned through teachers and staff. Instead of using husky cards at the husky hut, students can turn in their cards to the main office. Husky cards can be earned for being safe, responsible, respectful, good behavior, or grades. This month’s winners will be drawn on Friday, October 27. Good Luck!
Canyons School District recognizes the importance and wants to celebrate Digital Citizenship for students of all ages as they navigate this increasingly digital world!
As part of Hillcrest’s Digital Citizenship Week, we are highlighting the following topics this week with students:
- being inclusive
- thinking before they post
- being informed
- being balanced—prioritizing their time and activities online and off
- being engaged and alert
We will have more lessons throughout the year. Our goal is to create thoughtful, kind, and balanced digital citizens!
Winter Clothing Drive
Our Hillcrest Seminary is doing a winter clothing drive to benefit our Hillcrest Free Market. Accepted items include new/gently used youth and adult sizes winter clothing items: hoodies, zip-up hoodies, winter coats, gloves, and warm hats. Please donate items by October 30th to the seminary building.
We are a Community School!
- Our Hillcrest Free Market provides food, clothing, laundry, and hygiene products for our students and their families. Students who want to visit the market must check in to student support in A171.
- Parents and families wanting to visit the Hillcrest Free Market will need to make an appointment with Liz Demke (email@example.com or 801-214-5611). Please be sure to check out our website or on Instagram @hillcrestfreemarket for updates.
- We will be continuing our farmers market with fresh fruits and vegetables. The following are dates for our farmers market for 2023: October 18, November 1, November 15, & December 6.
- Our Thanksgiving help has opened. We will be submitting your information to an organization called Thanksgiving Heroes. This organization delivers uncooked Thanksgiving meal kits to your house on Saturday, November 18th. If you would like to sign up, please click HERE or please contact 801-214-5611 for more information. Para información en español llama a 385-418-9490.
Hillcrest Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA) is here to serve the families of our school.
Spirit Night at Zao Asian Café Ft Union location Thursday, Oct 26th! Plan to eat at Zao, and a portion of the proceeds will go to Hillcrest PTSA!
HUSKY HERO– Monthly, the PTSA names 2 students per grade as Husky Heroes. They win a prize package, including a Husky Hero throw blanket. **NEW**The 2 Seniors will win a PARKING PLACE for the month near the main entrance.
October Husky Heros are
Freshman – Ethan Booth
Sophomore – Mia Cabezas and Atticus Bradley
Junior – Gen Boles and Sanai Jose Villegas
Senior – Anna Ames and Ashima Puri
**Pick up your prize in the Main Office**
Looking for students who help others, are kind, improve school unity, or overcome obstacles. NOMINATE A STUDENT for Husky Hero TODAY!! Anyone can nominate:
Student Service Club- Thurs Oct 11th, 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm
Does your student need service hours or just want to get involved? Students are invited to come to the opening meeting of the PTSA Student Service Club on Thursday, Oct 11th, from 2:30-3:30 in the Conference Room (across from the counseling center) to discuss service projects for the year! Click the link below to join and get a reminder about the meeting!
Reflections Art Contest- Theme is “I am Hopeful Because…” The due date will be on October 25.
Students are invited to create original works of art in the categories of Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, 2D Visual Arts, and 3D Visual Arts.
JOIN PTSA- don’t have time to volunteer but still want to support the school? JOIN PTSA!! Only $7
Or Drop off cash/check to the Main Office in an envelope with your name and contact info and “PTSA”
Husky Blankets for sale! $75 for a super plush blanket. Sports water bottles for $10 and decals for $3. Show your Husky Pride! Want to avoid cc fees? You can purchase in the Main Office using cash/check.
PTSA Board 2023-24: Pres- Rebecca Martin, Sec- Becca Staker, Treasurer- Chelsea Worth, VP Membership- Kayo Robinson, and VP Advocacy- Stacey Kratz