HUSKY STRONG NEWSLETTER:
Hillcrest High School, Midvale, Utah
Welcome Back, Huskies! We are excited to start a new school year with you!
*In this Husky Strong, you will find information about: Upcoming Events, Safety Protocols, Community Schools, PTSA Information, School Flyers *
Keep up with all that is happening at Hillcrest High School. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram (@hillcrest.huskies) and our SBO Instagram (@hillcrestsbo)
SCHEDULE & EVENTS
Last Day for Schedule Changes
Homecoming Week (Sept 4-9)
Assembly: September 7 in Aud (9:10 am- 11:22 am)
Burning of the H: September 7 on Football Field (7:30 pm-8:30 pm)
Homecoming Chalk Fight and Tailgate: September 8 (4 pm-7 pm)
Homecoming Football Game: September 8 (7 pm-8 pm)
Homecoming: September 9 in HHS Commons (7 pm-10 pm)
September 13 & 14
HHS is about Rigor, Relevance, and Relationships. It is my hope that all interactions with HHS at any level show our desire to build and foster relationships and also create meaningful learning. Both of which will prepare students for college or career readiness.
During our welcome messages and assemblies, Hillcrest Administration will share with students about being SAFE, KIND, & RESPONSIBLE. We will talk with students about emotional support and safety. Every student will be encouraged to download the Safe UT App. A how-to video can be found on our web page. Every parent should ask their student if they have downloaded this app. If students see something, they should say something. The Safe UT App gives them a safe, anonymous platform to use for reporting.
This year, we will continue our positive approach to behavior in the following ways:
- Students with perfect attendance for the week will be rewarded.
- Students who meet the expectations of #WWHD will be awarded Hillcrest spirit gear and swag. WWHD is our “What Would A Husky Do” campaign prompting students to make good choices.
- APP is every day at 9:10 a.m. Students will be receiving weekly grade updates, and assigned study halls to help them recover or enhance grades. Study hall will also be provided for excelling students to get extra help or study with friends. We hope students will feel less stress with homework given. They will have 40 minutes per day to do schoolwork with support. If you need to check your students out during APP time, be aware that they may not be in their assigned classroom. Talk with your students prior to checking them out to see their location.
- Husky Grams are notes sent home by teachers to students who deserve positive feedback or encouragement. We hope your students will receive one from a teacher.
We are Hillcrest
HHS School-Wide Academic Disclosure
Students are expected to complete all coursework and assessments with academic integrity. The primary goal of grading is to provide high-quality feedback to parents/guardians and students, enabling them to clearly understand a student’s progress, appropriately support the learning process, and encourage student success. Student grades will demonstrate what a student knows and performs within the current quarter. In order to earn credit, students must pass their class with a D or higher. Teachers will be given the flexibility to evaluate students with a grade that reflects their engagement, regular attendance, and grit. This includes students with IEPs and/or 504s, English Language Learners, and refugees.
Grades will be weighted at a minimum of 80% formal assessments as well as 20% daily instruction and practice work. Teachers will give a minimum of four formal assessments per quarter, three of which can be retaken following the teacher retake policy.
TEST RETAKE & LATE WORK POLICY
Each academic department publishes its own retake exam criteria. The HHS minimum retake criteria includes no missing daily practice work, and the initial first test must be taken. Daily practice work will only be accepted when turned in during the current unit. Remember 80% of your grades are based on formal assessments. Turning in daily practice work late or incomplete will not produce effective grades.
To view the full HHS academic disclosure, please click HERE.
Are you interested in joining a club at Hillcrest? Club Rush is on September 13 & 14 during lunch. Hope to see you there!
Picture Make-Up Day
Picture Make-Up Day is scheduled for September 12th in the Auditorium from 7 am-1:30 pm. If you did not attend picture day, please attend! To pre-order your pictures, please go to mylifetouch.com and enter your student ID or Picture Day ID “EVT3JTS2V”
Homecoming week is Sept 4th-9th. We will have a few events during the week for students to celebrate. More information on these events will be announced by the SBOs.
The Homecoming Dance will be on September 9th in the HHS Commons from 7 pm-10 pm. This is a semi-formal dance. Tickets will be sold the week of the dance in the cafeteria. Please view the school dance guidelines HERE. All students and guests must have their student ID to enter. If you are bringing a guest, please fill out the form online HERE, or they are available on paper in the front office. Guests must be of high school age.
Check out the Homecoming activities
- Assembly: September 7 in Aud (9:10 am- 11:22 am)
- Burning of the H: September 7 on Football Field (7:30 pm-8:30 pm)
- Homecoming Chalk Fight and Tailgate: September 8 (4 pm-7 pm)
- Homecoming Football Game: September 8 (7 pm-8 pm)
- Homecoming: September 9 in HHS Commons (7 pm-10 pm)
Introducing your 2023-2023 Hillcrest Student Body Officers (SBOs)! SBOs are leaders in Hillcrest who bring spirit and unite our student body. This year, the SBOs are hosting a spirit bowl at the end of the year. The grade with the most spirit points will win the spirit bowl! Students can earn spirit bowl points for their grades by participating in different SBO activities. Check out their Instagram page @hillcrestsbo and listen to daily announcements in APP class to stay up to date on their activities and announcements.
SBO Cereal Drive
The SBOs are hosting a cereal drive for the Hillcrest Free Market! Earn spirit bowl points by dropping off new cereal boxes in your grade’s box in the cafeteria.
We are a Community School!
What is a Community School?
A community school is a school that strives to unite school staff, community members, families, and students to work together to help students and families succeed! We work together to provide resources and events for our families. Some examples of the things we do at Hillcrest include providing food, clothing, showers, and holiday support through our Hillcrest Free Market. We connect families and students to local resources. We also host annual community resource events such as Back to School Night, our Wellness Fair, and our Cultural Night.
- Our pantry hours will be changing. Students are able to come to the pantry before/after school and during lunch to pack a food bag each week. Please check in with student support. Parents and families will need to make an appointment with Miss El (email@example.com or 385-418-9490). Please be sure to check out our website or on Instagram @hillcrestfreemarket.
- We will be continuing our farmers market with fresh fruits and vegetables on September 6th at 2 pm in the Cafeteria.
- Want to support our Hillcrest Free Market? Many of our most needed items can be found on our Amazon Wishlist found HERE or donate to our success fund found HERE.
Hillcrest Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA) is here to serve the families of our school.
Our first PTSA meeting will be Wednesday, September 13th, at 1:00 pm in the Conference Room at Hillcrest. Come and find out what great things are planned for this year! We are voting on the budget for this year and renewing our bylaws.
HHS PTSA is looking for willing parents/guardians to fill the following positions:
Teacher Dinners- during Parent/Teacher Conferences, organize and serve 150 teachers a meal.
Fundraiser Chair– oversees the selling of the blankets at school functions, like football games.
Grad Night Committees– parents of a SENIORS- we need committee chairs to head the following committees for the all-night party for our graduating seniors at Dimple Dell Rec Center. Super fun!! **Committees are Food, Activities, Publicity, Prizes, Security, Ticketing/Registration**
If you are interested in these or other positions or just want to find out more about what the PTSA does in high school, email Rebecca Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org
JOIN PTSA- Don’t have time to volunteer but still want to support the school? JOIN PTSA!! Only $7
Or Drop off cash/check to the Main Office in an envelope with your name and contact info and “PTSA”
Reflections Art Contest- Theme is “I am Hopeful Because…” The due date will be in mid-October.
Students are invited to create original works of art in the categories of Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, 2D Visual Arts, and 3D Visual Arts.
PTSA Board 2023-24: Pres- Rebecca Martin, Sec- Becca Staker, Treasurer- Chelsea Worth, VP Membership- Kayo Robinson, VP Advocacy- Stacey Kratz
Husky Blankets for sale! $75 for a super plush blanket. Sports water bottles for $10 and decals for $3. Show your Husky Pride! Want to avoid cc fees? You can purchase in the Main Office using cash/check.
Hillcrest 1 Week Calendar of Events