HUSKY STRONG NEWSLETTER:
Hillcrest High School, Midvale, Utah
*In this Husky Strong, you will find information about: Upcoming Events, Senior Corner, Cultural Night, Bicycle Repair, Community School, & PTSA Message*
Keep up with all that is happening at Hillcrest High School. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram (@hillcrest.huskies) and our SBO Instagram (@hillcrestsbo)
SCHEDULE & EVENTS
January 30 – February 13
Utah College Higher Ed Day for Juniors
Parent Teacher Conferences
In Person: February 27 (3:30-7:30 pm)
Virtual: February 28 (3:30-7 pm)
March 7th (5 pm-7:30 pm)
March 9th (7 pm-10 pm)
To view the school calendar, please click HERE.
Attention Parents and Guardians
Second-semester student fees have been added to Skyward accounts. Please log in HERE to skyward to pay your student fees.
We are Hillcrest
Hillcrest High School Counselors will be in classrooms beginning January 30-February 8 to help students select and add to Skyward, courses for the 2024-2025 school year. Please see the Hillcrest website under the counseling center for course selection cards and instructions to add courses to Skyward. The window to complete course requests is from January 30, 2024, at 8 am – February 13, 2024, at 11:59 pm.
Junior College Day
Hillcrest’s “Utah Higher Ed Day” (College Day) for Juniors is Tuesday, 2/13/24 from 12:00 – 2:20 PM. Reps from all of Utah’s colleges/universities will be here to meet with our 11th graders.
- This College Day activity is for Juniors only.
- Juniors will be called down to the auditorium out of 7th period (at approx. 12 Noon).
- We will have one extended lunch on this day between 6th and 7th period.
*Important class of 2024 graduation information, please read.
Dear Students and Parents, Graduation is coming up fast. Congratulations on a really amazing time of your life! The deadline to order your graduation items (cap and gown, graduation announcements, senior swag, etc.) is quickly approaching. Please look at the options below and click on the link that works best for you, and place your order online before the deadline of February 28th.
- To order just the cap and gown package, please click the following link: https://www.jostens.com/apps/store/productDetail/1120792/HILLCREST-HIGH-SCHOOL/Cap-and-Gown/2136416727/CATALOG_REPOSITORY/Cap-and-Gown-Unit/2136416796
- To order graduation packages that include custom graduation announcements, photo cards, senior swag, and the cap and gown please click this link: https://www.jostens.com/apps/store/customer/1120792/Hillcrest-High-School/
- To order other individual graduation items, please click this link: https://www.jostens.com/apps/store/catalogBrowse/1120792/HILLCREST-HIGH-SCHOOL/Graduation/2136416727/CATALOG_REPOSITORY/
- To order your graduation class ring, you can click this link: https://www.jostens.com/apps/store/productBrowse/1120792/HILLCREST-HIGH-SCHOOL/Class-Jewelry/2002080214030844323/CATALOG_JRD
- To order your Letter Jacket, you can click this link: https://www.jostens.com/apps/store/productBrowse/1120792/HILLCREST-HIGH-SCHOOL/Letter-Jackets/2111969725/CATALOG_REPOSITORY
- *NOTE- all tassels, caps, and gowns will be delivered in your custom school colors. Cap and Gowns will be delivered to the school in the spring closer to graduation. Other items will mail directly to you.
If you have any questions, please contact Jostens directly at email@example.com or 801-766-6754
The Deborah Bayle Scholarship is an opportunity for undocumented Hillcrest Seniors. Applicants must be planning to attend SLCC, University of Utah, Utah Valley University, or Weber State. The amount awarded will depend on the student’s needs. Please contact Ms. El in A171 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
The Canyons Education Foundation is offering scholarships to students from Hillcrest. The Bright Star Scholarships (valued at $2,500) rewards students who have financial need and have shown improvement or exemplary effort in working toward post-secondary education. The Rising Star Scholarship (valued at $3,500) is given each year to one student who has risen above difficult circumstances.
The Salt Lake Community College Summer Bridge Program will be visiting Hillcrest on March 14th during APP in the Presentation Room. This is a great program for students to learn how to transition to SLCC from High School.
Hillcrest High School is in need of donated bicycles for our first-ever bike repair class. This is the first time we’ve ever offered this class and already have over 25 students currently enrolled. We need all types of bikes, but mostly adult bikes with gears since a lot of the curriculum requires students to diagnose and repair the gear system. As always, donations are tax-deductible. Feel free to contact Mr. Kilgore for more information at email@example.com.
February is Career and Technical Education Month. Taking Career and Technical Education classes in high school is an important key to future success and developing life skills. C.T.E. provides the opportunity to explore a variety of career areas that will equip your student with the academic knowledge and technical skills needed for entry into a global workforce. For a list of C.T.E. classes offered at Hillcrest High School visit: hhs.canyonsdistrict.org/cte/
On Feb 28th (b day) is the Utah Asphalt Conference. Students are invited.
The conference brings together the asphalt industry’s best and brightest for a trade show and education seminar. UAC will provide students with all of the tools, technologies, and best practices they need to accomplish goals as well as plenty of networking opportunities.
- There is a bus sponsored by Work-Based Learning to take students to the expo center, and they will be school-excused for this event.
- Then they will return to the school and enjoy some pizza compliments of WBL as they recap the events. To sign up, see Ms Burbank in A139.
Our second annual Cultural Night is a month away! Join us on March 7th from 5 pm to 7:30 pm for free food, performances, crafts, and fun! If you would like to perform, please contact Elena (385-418-9490 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
We are a Community School!
- We will have fresh fruits, vegetables, and other pantry items available at the Farmers Market at 2 pm in the cafeteria for students and their families. First come, first serve.
- February 7 & 21, March 6 & 20, April 17, May 1 & 15.
- Our Hillcrest Free Market provides food, clothing, laundry, and hygiene products for our students and their families. Students who want to visit the market must check in to student support in A171.
- Parents and families wanting to visit the Hillcrest Free Market will need to make an appointment with Liz Demke (email@example.com) Please be sure to check out our website or on Instagram @hillcrestfreemarket for updates.
- For more information about the market, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text 385-418-9490
Hillcrest Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA) is here to serve the families of our school.
Feeding Teachers during Parent/Teacher Conference Wed Feb 28th. Please sign up if you can help contribute food or money.
Spirit Night – at Raising Canes Ft Union location- Mon Feb 12th 5:00pm – 8:30pm. Mention the fundraiser and they will donate 15% of sales to HHS PTSA!
PTSA Board 2023-24: Pres- Rebecca Martin, Sec- Becca Staker, Treasurer- Chelsea Worth, VP Membership- Kayo Robinson, VP Advocacy- Stacey Kratz
Congratulations Reflections Winners 13 Hillcrest students participated in the Reflections contest and their art advanced to the Council Level and received the following awards.
Awards of Excellence – Capella Chaudry for 2D Visual Art, Film Production, and Literature
Award of Excellence – Jewel Troyer for Literature
These advanced and received the following awards are the Region Level.
Award of Excellence- Capella Chaudry for Film Production
Award of Merit- Jewel Troyer for Literature
Husky Hero Winners
Monthly, the PTSA names 2 students per grade as Husky Heroes. They win a prize package, including a Husky Hero throw blanket. The 2 Seniors will win a PARKING PLACE for the month near the main entrance.
Raquel Vera Mas y Rubi
Need to stay WARM this winter? Order your super soft plush Husky Blanket! $75
Water bottles are $10. ORDER TODAY at https://hillcresthuskies.memberhub.com/store
JOIN PTSA- don’t have time to volunteer but still want to support the school? JOIN PTSA!! Only $7 https://hillcresthuskies.memberhub.com/store Or Drop off cash/check to the Main Office in an envelope with your name and contact info and “PTSA”
The nominating committee is now formed to find candidates to serve on the PTSA Board next school year. If you are interested in serving in any capacity, please contact PTSA at email@example.com