Husky Strong Newsletter
Hillcrest High School, Midvale Utah, September 9th, 2020
***In this Husky Strong Newsletter, you will find the Principals Message (School Disclosures), Homecoming Week & Burning of the “H”, Hillcrest Football Live Stream, Homecoming Assembly Live Stream, Hillcrest PSAT, Lifetouch Picture Day, Upcoming Events.***
Principals Message: School Disclosures
Parents/Guardians and Students:
Wanted to make you aware of the school-wide disclosure. The school-wide disclosure can be found at our website : https://hhs.canyonsdistrict.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/360/2020/09/HHS-Disclsoure-English-2020.pdf
The school disclosure contains information regarding academics, grading system, retake and late work policy, positive behavioral supports, social/emotional supports, rules and expectations, technology policy and COVID information. We are very pleased with our desire to create an equitable system, where students can expect to be graded and treated the same. We invite you and your students to review the school-wide disclosure together. Teachers may have their own disclosures, located on Canvas, but they will need to parallel the school-wide disclosure.
Homecoming Week & Burning of the “H”
Homecoming week is Sept 8th-11th. We will have a few events during the week for students to celebrate. More information on these events will be announced during school hours and sent in next week’s newsletter.
- September 8th- 7:00pm-8:30pm: Trivia Night in the AT200 (Limit 50 students)
- September 9th-6:00pm-8:00pm: Movie Night in the Auditorium
- September 10th-7:30pm-9:00pm: Burning of the “H”
- September 11th-7:00pm-10:00pm: Homecoming Football Game vs. Skyline
HHS would like to keep the tradition of Burning of the “H” as best and as safe as we can. The Burning of the H will be September 10th, 7:30pm-9pm at the Stadium. We will have very specific procedures in place to make sure that this happens. Please see bulleted points below.
- On Thursday/Friday (September 3rd and 4th) and Tuesday/Wednesday (September 8th and 9th) the SBOs will have tables setup during both lunches by the auditorium. During these lunches, students can come to those tables and sign up to attend in specific sections. We have a total of 21 sections in the football stadium. We will allow 25 students in each section which is (25%) of overall capacity of each section. The “Home” side sections (1-10) will be for Seniors and Juniors only. The “Away” side sections (12-22) will be for Sophomores and Freshman only. When students come to the table to sign up, they will need to verify what grade they are in, and then they can sign up in any of section found on their corresponding side. For students online, who would like to attend, we ask that you email Max Lepore at firstname.lastname@example.org. He will then place your name in a section on the corresponding side it belongs.
- Once a student has signed up for a specific section, they cannot change at any time. We will have to contract trace, and full cooperation of our sections is required.
- Walk-ins the night of the event will NOT be allowed. You have to has signed up for a section during the 4-day window.
- When students arrive, they will enter through the North stadium gates. They will then head to their section number and be greeted by a student officer and their names will be checked off.
- With only 25 students per section, we can properly social distance. Students will be asked to social distance while in attendance. Masks, AT ALL TIMES, will be required. If students are not in masks, they will be asked to leave.
- No Parents/Alumni will be allowed at the event. Students only.
Homecoming: Hillcrest Football Live Stream vs. Skyline
The Hillcrest Football vs. Skyline Football game will be played this Friday at 7pm at Hillcrest. Please join us this Friday as Hillcrest takes on Skyline on the gridiron for Homecoming. See the link below.
The Homecoming Assembly will be this Friday, at 8:56am=-9:50am in the Auditorium. We will be live streaming this event for our community. Please see link below.
The following is a brief message regarding the PSAT — the Preliminary SAT test. Hillcrest is offering the PSAT for 10th and 11th graders on Wednesday, October 14th at 7:30AM. Taking this test provides motivated students an opportunity to prepare for the SAT and ACT tests and also enters juniors into the competition for prestigious National Merit Scholarships. District policy for COVID-19 will be in place for testing. If the PSAT needs to be cancelled for school closure, there will be a make-up day in January.
To sign up for the PSAT – students must pay $17 in the main office. If your student would like a study guide have your student bring their receipt to the Counseling Center to get one. Any questions, please contact John Oliver: email@example.com
Lifetouch Picture Day
Picture days are Tuesday and Wednesday (September 15th & 16th) during student’s ELA classes. Students will be brought to AT200 during the assigned ELA class time, have pictures taken and leave with their student IDs. Masks must be worn up to the point of pictures being taken. All students should wear dress code appropriate clothing. Order sheets for additional prints are available in Counseling, Attendance or Main Office counters.
Seniors who want graduation gown pictures may contact Lifetouch to arrange for an in-studio picture appointment.
Online students wanting pictures may go to AT200 on picture days at 2:30 to 3:30 PM.
- Please refer to the HHS School Calendar below to see what events are happening this week.
- You can find the school calendar by going to HHS Website at:
- https://hhs.canyonsdistrict.org/ Once there, go to “School Info” drop down menu and select “School Calendar”. It will then open our school calendar.
- Our new school website also provides translation services. When you access the website, at the top right, you will see a translate button. Please click that button and select the language you would like to translate to. This will translate all website information into the language selected.