HUSKY STRONG NEWSLETTER:
Hillcrest High School, Midvale, Utah
*In this Husky Strong, you will find information about: Parent Teacher Conferences, Hillcrest Shoutouts, School Safety Video, PSAT/ PTSA Information, Week of Events, Community Events, Key Dates, School Flyers*
Keep up with all that is happening at Hillcrest High School. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram (@hillcrest.huskies) and our SBO Instagram (@hillcrestsbo)
Parent Teacher Conferences:
We are looking forward to our upcoming parent-teacher conferences. Conferences will be held over two days. The first day, Monday, September 26th, will be an in-person day. The second day, Tuesday, September 27th, will be a virtual day with zoom conferences only.
In-Person Conference Night Information: Sept. 26 from 3:30-7:30 pm
- Interpreters are available for the following languages in the commons area by the cafeteria, please check in at the welcome table: Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Swahili, and Kinyarwanda
- Please check your student’s schedule for room numbers and teachers so that you can more easily find your way around the school. We will have staff available in the commons to help with schedules and guidance to classrooms.
Virtual Conference Night Information: Sept. 27 from 3:30-7:00 pm
- Reference your teacher’s Zoom links here: https://hhs.canyonsdistrict.org/announcements/hhs-parent-teacher-conferences-fall-2022/
- You will be placed in a virtual waiting room. There may be a wait time until the teacher lets you in. If a password is required, that is also available on the document.
- Families can attend the school on the virtual night to receive virtual support. Meetings with teachers will still take place on zoom, but we will have available technology to use and interpreters for Spanish and Portuguese.
- If you experience any technical difficulties, please call the front office, and someone will get back to help you at 801-826-6000.
- On both days, free flu vaccines are available in the commons for families.
Upcoming Key Dates
Schedule and Events
September 24, 2022
September 26 & 27, 2022
Parent Teacher Conferences and Flu Clinic
September 26, 2022
Financial Aid Night in CTE Computer Lab for Parents
September 26, 2022
Deadline to register for October ACT
We are Hillcrest
Twenty seniors from Canyons School District high schools have been named as 2023 National Merit Scholarship Program semifinalists and are in the running for nearly $28 million scholarships that will be awarded next spring.
Hillcrest High boasts 13 National Merit semifinalists, placing it in the top three statewide for fielding the most National Merit semifinalists. The following students have been named as National merit Semifinalists: James Abbott, Lauren Andrade, Michael Chen, Campbell Hone, Andrew Liew, Rian Liew, Samuel Martin, Priyanka Mathews, Sofia Moeinvaziri, Sowmya Paritala, Amber Parker, Naoto Robinson, Jayashabari Shankar.
We wish them the best of luck!
School Safety Instruction Video
Teachers will be showing a school safety video during APP to students on September 26th. The video will explain the Run, Hide, Fight drill. This drill is a district-endorsed response to active inside threats. Please view and review the video with your student. Please click the following link to view: Run, Hide, Fight Video
See If You Qualify for Free WIFI This School Year
Are you aware that the district has a partnership with Comcast to offer free home Internet for those who need it? As part of continued efforts to bridge the digital divide for our students, Canyons is again partnering with the Comcast Corporation to cover monthly Internet connection costs for families in need. For more information call our Hillcrest Library at 801-826-6052 or our Community School Facilitator Elena at 801-826-6167. See the flyer below for more information.
Why Should Your Student Take the PSAT/NMSQT
- Scores can lead to National Merit Scholarships: The National Merit Scholarship Corporation uses these scores to qualify semi-finalists who are then considered for the National Merit Scholarship competition. Recognition by the National Merit program provides a monetary award and can often be leveraged to secure additional scholarships.
- Good scores can indicate performance on the SAT and ACT: The PSAT is a terrific way to familiarize the student with the structure, content, and process of taking the SAT/ACT and get a sense of how you’ll perform on the actual exam. Your student’s score can show you which subjects they may not be particularly strong in, regardless of your grades in related classes.
- Doing well can provide a big confidence boost: Test anxiety and a fear of the unknown can have a negative impact on students taking the SAT for the first time. However, if your student has already done well on the PSAT, they will be at a distinct advantage.
- Test Date: Wednesday, October 12, 2022. The cost will be $18. Seats are is based on availability. Please pay in the main office and then bring the receipt to the counseling center to reserve your seat and receive your Study Guide.
JOIN Hillcrest High PTSA and support the parents, teachers, and students! Only $7 WE NEED YOU!
Click the following link for a membership: https://hillcresthuskies.memberhub.com/store
Husky Swag available! Husky Blankets are $75 for a super plush blanket. Show your Husky Pride! Also for sale- sports water bottles for $10 and decals for $3 Click HERE to buy your swag.
Spirit Night at Café Zupas
TONIGHT – Wed Sept 21st Eat at Café Zupas Ft Union location from 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Tell them you are with Hillcrest and they will donate to Hillcrest PTSA! Online orders count too! Online Orders t cafezupas.com or on the app use the code : FUNDRAISER25
Great way to support our school!
PTSA Student Service Club is sponsoring a Food Drive to stock the Hillcrest Free Market Pantry.
Drop off donations in grade-level boxes to earn spirit points for your student’s grade!
We need Volunteers (Parents and Students) to be at the grade level collection boxes each morning by the gym doors and in the cafeteria. Mon Oct 3 -Fri Oct 7th 7:15 am – 7:45 am
Adults and Students- sign up to help!!
Bring in your food donations Oct 3-7th
Needed Food Items:
- Peanut Butter (approx. 16oz)
- Jam (approx 16 oz)
- Microwaveable Cups of Mac & Cheese
- Microwavable cups of Ramen Noodles
- Beans (blank, pinto, refried)
- Granola bars, apple sauce pouches,
- Pasta and sauce (all kinds)
- Cheerios (plain and honey nut)
- Hamburger Helper meals
Reflections Art Contest! The theme is “SHOW YOUR VOICE.” Start working on your entries in the following categories: 2D Visual Art, 3D Art, Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Photography, and Music Composition. (There is even a category for special needs artists). The deadline will be in October, so start your entries today! Check out www.utahpta.org/ref for more information.
Husky Hero awards are given each month to two students in each grade who: Make a significant effort to help others, promote school unity, or overcome obstacles and improve themselves in some way.
Do you know a Husky who should be a recognized Hero? Anyone can submit a nomination– faculty, staff, parents or other students. Nominations should be submitted by the 23rd of each month. Paper nomination forms are available in the main office.
Online submissions are at: https://forms.gle/uCwUp2A3za9WRfvg7
PTSA Student Service Club
Is your student looking for a way to belong and make a difference? Join PTSA Student Service Club! They meet about once a month to do service for our school community. Join the Club today!! Service Hours count for IB CAS, LIA, NHS, etc! Click HERE to join
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
PTSA Board 2022-23: Pres- Rebecca Martin, Sec- Becca Staker, Treasurer- Chelsea Worth, VP Membership- Kayo Robinson, VP Advocacy- Stacey Kratz
Hillcrest 1 Week Calendar of Events:
Weekly Calendar Community Events:
Each week we will feature community events in Midvale or surrounding areas. Please note, these events are not sponsored by Hillcrest High School. This week: Midvale Arts Council Fiction Contest, Tyler Library D&D, Voyage into Health Professions, & Affordable Connectivity Program. Please click HERE for more info.