HUSKY STRONG NEWSLETTER:
Hillcrest High School, Midvale, Utah
*In this Husky Strong, you will find information about: the Principal’s Message, Key Dates, Parking Updates, Hillcrest Shoutouts, Digital Citizenship, SBO Winter Fundraiser, Seal of Biliteracy, PTSA, Calendar of Events*
Keep up with all that is happening at Hillcrest High School. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram (@hillcrest.huskies) and our SBO Instagram (@hillcrestsbo)
*Please note we will be transitioning to sending out our Husky Strong Newsletter on Parent Square instead of skylert starting on December 7. Please make sure your contact information is correct: www.parentsquare.com. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
One of the main goals of Hillcrest this year is to increase student attendance. Attendance is the number one factor that determines a student’s success and their graduation from high school. To help accomplish this, HHS will be moving to a hall pass system that will only allow one student out of class at a time. Each teacher will be issued one physical hall pass. See the picture below to see an example of our new hall pass! In the past, we had used a system in which the teacher allowed multiple students in the halls at once. Our hope is that this change will facilitate more accountability for attendance and safety in the hallways. We thank the 90% of our students who are in the right place at the right time and making school a positive and productive learning environment.
Upcoming Key Dates
SCHEDULE & EVENTS
December 10, 2022
December 1 – 15, 2022
SBO Winter Fundraiser Events
Parking Announcement for the Canyons District Utah Symphony Concert for Elementary Age
On Tuesday, December 13th, Hillcrest is hosting elementary-age students as they attend the Canyons District Utah Symphony Concert. Please be aware that our parking lots will be busy and there may be limited parking. Thank you for your understanding.
We are Hillcrest
Check out all the Hillcrest Clubs. Click HERE for a list. If you are interested, please reach out to the advisor listed.
Last week our Hillcrest Vocal Ensemble was invited to perform at the tabernacle for a special Christmas concert at the Tabernacle.
Looking for an awesome Christmas Present? Hillcrest High School is now live with a team store for the entire school! This team store is live 24/7 and includes multiple options for anyone looking for Hillcrest gear. It will ship directly to you! Currently, there is a 25% discount for our grand opening. Check out the store HERE or see the flier below.
Show your school spirit by wearing Husky Swag! Our swag is in stock and ready for purchase in the main office. This is a great idea for Holiday gifts for your Hillcrest Husky! Items will go fast, and some items have limited sizes. Get yours before they are gone! See our husky swag in the flier below.
To buy Hillcrest sporting events tickets, please click HERE.
To view live Hillcrest sporting events, please click HERE
On December 14, 2022, at 8:00 am, arena scheduling will open for second-semester schedule class changes. It will then close at 11:59 p.m. on January 3, 2023. Please note that this is for non-essential changes. Students cannot change year-long classes.
If you need to make changes, refer to the directions below:
Arena Schedule Change Directions:
- Login to Skyward Family and Student access at www.skyward.canyonsdistrict.org
- Click on the “Arena Scheduling” link under the student’s name.
- View your current schedule by clicking the “view/print schedule” link in blue near the top of the page.
- If your schedule looks good, you don’t need to do anything.
- If you would like to make a change, plan which classes to switch before you delete a class.
- To add a class, select “Search Options” and then click “Apply Filter” to locate a course by name, period, subject, or teacher.
- If there are seats available in the class you want, “Add” will appear. Click “Add” to put the class in your schedule.
- View your updated schedule again by clicking “view/print schedule.” Make sure all eight periods have a class selected. This means if you have an “add class here” in your schedule, YOU MUST FILL THAT PERIOD WITH A CLASS – DO NOT LEAVE IT.
Most kids will encounter mean behavior at some point in their digital lives. To some kids, this experience is a blip that’s easily forgotten, while for others, it can have deep, long-lasting effects. For parents, the key is staying involved in kids’ lives — both online and off — so they can step in and offer help if necessary. With guidance from parents and educators, kids can learn how to dodge the drama and stand up for others. Visit Common Sense Media to learn more about these quick tips Links to an external site.. (www.commonsense.org/education).
Engineering Day is Friday, Dec. 16, and student registration is open now until Friday! High school students get the opportunity to discover more in-depth how our community engineers work and what a day in the life looks like for bridge builders, infrastructure designers, state-of-the-art prosthetic design technicians, innovative medical device makers, biometric device and robot manufacturers, and more. There will be over 13 company professionals.
See the flyer for details and contact Cher at email@example.com, our Work-Based Learning Facilitator, for the registration link. Link to flier
Student Body Officers (SBO) Winter Fundraiser
This year for the SBO Winter Fundraiser, we will be donating to the Big Brother Big Sisters Foundation. Since 1904, Big Brothers Big Sisters has operated under the belief that inherent in every child is incredible potential. As the nation’s largest donor- and volunteer-supported mentoring network, Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and children (“Littles”), ages 5 through young adulthood, in communities across the country. They develop positive relationships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of young people.
We will be hosting the following events to raise money for this foundation:
- December 5th-14th – Feast Week: The following days, if you purchase food at these restaurants, they will donate a portion of their sales if you mention you are supporting Hillcrest.
- Dec 5th: Raising Cane’s (890 Fort Union Blvd)
- Dec 6th: Preso Tea (7710 Union Park Ave) & Zupas (1400 Fort Union Blvd)
- Dec 7th: Waffle Love (1142 Fort Union Blvd) & Mod Pizza (1148 Fort Union Blvd)
- Dec 8th: Cafe Rio (6973 S. 1300 E)
- Dec 14th: Noodles & Co (6901 S. 1300 E)
- December 9th – Kids Night: Student Government will be hosting a childcare night for parents in the community. All children potty trained to 5th grade are invited to attend. The children will enjoy the polar express movie, crafts, and fun! Entrance is $15 for the first child in a family and $10 for any other children in the same family. You can sign up children by using this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe4v1wj4pau8md4cCbjh0Yv34FugFjI38PcxltKQOn2rhfefQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
- December 10th – Winter Formal Dance: It will be held in the Aux Gym. Tickets are $15 per person in advance. $20 per person at the door.
- December 13th – Boys Basketball Game: We will be selling concessions at the Boy’s Basketball Game. All proceeds of concessions will go towards the winter fundraiser.
- December 15th – Game Night: From 6-8 pm, we will be hosting a game night. There will be Just Dance, trivia, board games, volleyball, spike ball, and our annual Smash Bros tournament. There will be a $5 entrance fee.
With any questions, direct message @hillcrestsbo on Instagram. You can make direct donations through this link: http://successfund.com/bbbs
Baby Ads For Seniors Only
Dear Parent or Student,
Yearbook Recognition Ads are the perfect way to commemorate achievements and celebrate milestones. In addition, revenues from Recognition Ads help our school create a better yearbook. To purchase your ad online, follow the instructions listed below. Jostens is responsible for our school’s yearbook ad sales. Please do not contact or send materials to the school. Please also consider our school’s ad content guidelines below during the creation of your ad online. All orders must be placed by 01/14/2023.
Please click the following link for instructions: Baby Ad
Yearbook Sales are coming to a close. Purchase a yearbook before January 3rd for $50. After January 3rd, prices will go up to $60 and will only be sold until February 1st. Get them while supplies last.
Apply for Utah’s Seal of Biliteracy!
Do you speak another language? Register for the seal of biliteracy test! All Juniors and Seniors who are proficient in English and a second language can apply for the test. Applications close on January 20, 2023, so don’t wait! Click the following link to register https://sealofbiliteracy.canyonsdistrict.org/#/home
We are a Community School!
The Hillcrest Free Market has so many people to thank for the month of December! Thank you to the LDS Seminary and our long-time market supporter, Karen Coons, for helping us with our Winter Break Meal Bags. Thank you to Paul and Cherie Broadwater and their entire church group for their market donations and extraordinary fundraising efforts this month. Many of their friends and neighbors have children who attended Hillcrest High, and they were so happy to be able to contribute to our Free Market to help keep it running! Thank you to our attendance office Brooke Carn for organizing a donation drive with her church for the pantry. They donated hoodies and blankets and food to keep our shelves stocked and our students warm.
Thank you to everyone who has brought food, clothing, and winter jackets to the pantry and the front office this last month. While we are no longer accepting used clothing or household items, our Amazon wish list is always up to date with specific items that we have students in need waiting for.
- Our amazon wishlist can be found at the following link: https://a.co/83QlSLK
- Our Success Fund for monetary donations can be found at the following link: https://www.successfund.com/hhsfreemarket
Events and Resources:
Each week we will feature community events and local resources in Midvale or surrounding areas. Please note, these events and resources are NOT sponsored by Hillcrest High School. This week: Big Brothers Big Sisters, Family Support Center, Eye Care 4 Kids, CHIP, Take Care Utah, Immunization Clinic, Latino Behavioral Health, Boys and Girls Club, & Tyler Library. Please click HERE for more info.
PTSA Info for Husky Strong 12/7/2022
Note- PTSA meeting for December has been canceled. The next meeting will be on January 11th.
December Husky Heroes Winners!! Pick up your prize bag in the office! Great job to these students for making Hillcrest a better place!
Senior – Ashtyn Mcvey, Olivia Paul
Junior – Ashley Neerings, Sidor Clare
Sophomore – Jacob Ray, Talon Silver
Freshman – Claire McCann, Reagan Williams
Husky Hero awards are given each month to two students in each grade who: Make a significant effort to help others, promote school unity, or overcome obstacles and improve themselves in some way.
Do you know a Husky who should be a recognized Hero? Anyone can submit a nomination– faculty, staff, parents, or other students. Nominations should be submitted by the 23rd of each month. Paper nomination forms are available in the main office.
Online submissions are at: https://forms.gle/uCwUp2A3za9WRfvg7
Looking for a Holiday gift? Order a Husky Blanket!
Husky Blankets for sale! $75 for a super plush blanket. Sports water bottles for $10 and decals for $3 Show your Husky Pride! Want to avoid cc fees? You can purchase in the Main Office using cash/check. https://www.successfund.com/hillcrestptsa/store
Do you shop online? Shop AMAZON SMILE
When you shop smile.amazon.com, Amazon donates a portion of your purchase to your chosen charity- at no cost to you!! It’s Amazon’s way of giving back.
Just click this link to select Hillcrest High PTSA Utah as your charity, and then shop at smile.amazon.com https://smile.amazon.com/ch/87-0462894
Do you shop at Smith’s Grocery store? You can link your Fresh Values card to a non-profit organization, and they will make a donation every time you shop! Connect to Hillcrest PTSA today!
- Log in to Smithsfoodanddrug.com on your phone or computer
- Click on YOUR NAME in the upper right corner
- Click on “My Account”
- Scroll down to “Inspiring Donations”
- Select your organization- Hillcrest High School PTSA in Midvale, UT.
THAT’S IT! Every time you shop, Smith’s makes a contribution to Hillcrest PTSA. Thanks!
Did you know that only 217 Hillcrest parents have joined PTSA this school year???? WE NEED YOU!
JOIN Hillcrest High PTSA and support the parents, teachers, and students! Only $7
Or Drop off cash/check to the Main Office in an envelope with your name and contact info and “PTSA.”
We love serving you and our school, but we need more parents!
PTSA Board 2022-23: Pres- Rebecca Martin, Sec- Becca Staker, Treasurer- Chelsea Worth, VP Membership- Kayo Robinson, VP Advocacy- Stacey Kratz
Hillcrest 1 Week Calendar of Events: