HUSKY STRONG NEWSLETTER:
Hillcrest High School, Midvale, Utah
*In this Husky Strong, you will find information about: the Principal’s Message, Key Dates, Hillcrest Shoutouts, SBO Winter Fundraiser, Seal of Biliteracy, PTSA, and Calendar of Events*
Keep up with all that is happening at Hillcrest High School. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram (@hillcrest.huskies) and our SBO Instagram (@hillcrestsbo)
*Please note we will be transitioning to sending out our Husky Strong Newsletter on Parent Square instead of skylert starting on December 7. Please make sure your contact information is correct: www.parentsquare.com If you have any questions please email email@example.com*
One of the main goals of Hillcrest this year is to increase student attendance. Attendance is the number one factor that determines a student’s success and their graduation from high school. To help accomplish this, HHS will be moving to a hall pass system that will only allow one student out of class at a time. Each teacher will be issued one physical hall pass. See the picture below to see an example of our new hall pass! In the past, we had used a system in which the teacher allowed multiple students in the halls at once. Our hope is that this change will facilitate more accountability for attendance and safety in the hallways. We thank the 90% of our students who are in the right place at the right time and making school a positive and productive learning environment.
Upcoming Key Dates
SCHEDULE & EVENTS
December 10, 2022
December 1 – 15, 2022
SBO Winter Fundraiser Events
We are Hillcrest
Check out all the Hillcrest Clubs. Click HERE for a list, if interested please reach out to the advisor listed.
Our very own Hillcrest Cross Country Coach Stucki won the UHSAA 5A Distinguished Leadership Coach of the Year!
This past week Neil Shusterman, a New York times best selling author and author of over 30 books visited Hillcrest students. Students were able to learn about a career as an author and the time to answer questions. Thank you to our amazing librarian Jenny Olsen for bringing Neil!
Looking for an awesome Christmas Present? Hillcrest High School is now live with a team store for the entire school! This team store is live 24/7 and includes multiple options for anyone looking for Hillcrest gear. It will ship directly to you! Currently, there is a 25% discount for our grand opening. Check out the store HERE or see the flier below.
Show your school spirit by wearing Husky Swag! Our swag is in stock and ready for purchase in the main office. This is a great idea for Holiday gifts for your Hillcrest Husky! Items will go fast, and some items have limited sizes. Get yours before they are gone! See our husky swag in the flier below.
To buy Hillcrest sporting events tickets please click HERE.
To view live Hillcrest sporting events please click HERE
Student Body Officers (SBO) Winter Fundraiser
This year for the SBO Winter Fundraiser we will be donating to the Big Brother Big Sisters Foundation. Since 1904, Big Brothers Big Sisters has operated under the belief that inherent in every child is incredible potential. As the nation’s largest donor- and volunteer-supported mentoring network, Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and children (“Littles”), ages 5 through young adulthood in communities across the country. They develop positive relationships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of young people.
We had an awesome assembly today, Huskies! We had some fun activities and our Freshman slipped by our Seniors for the spirit bowl points! See below for pictures of our awesome teachers and students participating in our assembly activities.
We will be hosting the following events to raise money for this foundation:
- December 1st – Girl’s Basketball Game: We will be selling concessions at the Girl’s Basketball Game. All proceeds of concession will go towards the winter fundraiser.
- December 5th-14th – Feast Week: The following days if you purchase food at these restaurants they will donate a portion of their sales if you mention you are supporting Hillcrest.
- Dec 5th: Raising Cane’s (890 Fort Union Blvd)
- Dec 6th: Preso Tea (7710 Union Park Ave) & Zupas (1400 Fort Union Blvd)
- Dec 7th: Waffle Love (1142 Fort Union Blvd) & Mod Pizza (1148 Fort Union Blvd)
- Dec 8th: Cafe Rio (6973 S. 1300 E)
- Dec 14th: Noodles & Co (6901 S. 1300 E)
- December 5th – Hillcrest Idol: Monday from 6-8 pm we will be hosting our school’s annual Hillcrest Idol. There will be a $5 entrance fee. Students can sign up by using this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdLiO1t_-4NeuJoVO4BJLqNkkkZy3wOdQgYxpacp17XnR08_w/viewform?usp=sf_link
- December 9th – Kids Night: Student Government will be hosting a childcare night for parents in the community. All children potty trained to 5th grade are invited to attend. The children will enjoy the polar express movie, crafts, and fun! Entrance is $15 for the first child in a family and $10 for any other children in the same family. You can sign up children by using this link.https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe4v1wj4pau8md4cCbjh0Yv34FugFjI38PcxltKQOn2rhfefQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
- December 10th – Winter Formal Dance: It will be held in the Aux Gym. Tickets are $15 per person in advance. $20 per person at the door.
- December 13th – Boy’s Basketball Game: We will be selling concessions at the Boy’s Basketball Game. All proceeds of concessions will go towards the winter fundraiser.
- December 15th – Game Night: From 6-8 pm we will be hosting a game night. There will be Just Dance, trivia, board games, volleyball, spike ball, and our annual Smash Bros tournament. There will be a $5 entrance fee.
With any questions direct message @hillcrestsbo on Instagram. You can make direct donations through this link: http://successfund.com/bbbs
Apply for Utah’s Seal of Biliteracy!
Do you speak another language? Register for the seal of biliteracy test! All Juniors and Seniors who are proficient in English and a second language can apply for the test. Applications close on January 20, 2023, so don’t wait! Click the following link to register https://sealofbiliteracy.canyonsdistrict.org/#/home
We are a Community School!
We were able to support 95 families with Thanksgiving help this past week. We are so grateful for Thanksgiving Heroes, Teachers for Hope, and our Choose Gang Free Student Advocate for providing our families with meals!
Events and Resources:
Each week we will feature community events and local resources in Midvale or surrounding areas. Please note, these events and resources are NOT sponsored by Hillcrest High School. This week: Big Brothers Big Sisters, Family Support Center, Eye Care 4 Kids, CHIP, Take Care Utah, Immunization Clinic, Latino Behavioral Health, Boys and Girls Club, & Tyler Library. Please click HERE for more info.
Congratulations to our November Husky Heroes! Students may pick up their prize bags at the Main Office.
Freshman – Amber Mayne, Keerthana Perla
Sophomores – Aurora Clare, Maile Gonzalez
Juniors – Shelby Norby, Tasman Raleigh
Seniors – Morgan Khantivong, Chase Pack
Husky Hero awards are given each month to two students in each grade who: Make a significant effort to help others, promote school unity, or overcome obstacles and improve themselves in some way.
Do you know a Husky who should be a recognized Hero? Anyone can submit a nomination– faculty, staff, parents, or other students. Nominations should be submitted by the 23rd of each month. Paper nomination forms are available in the main office.
Online submissions are at: https://forms.gle/uCwUp2A3za9WRfvg7
Note- PTSA meeting for December has been canceled. The next meeting will be on January 11th.
Looking for a Holiday gift?? Order a Husky Blanket!
Husky Blankets for sale! $75 for a super plush blanket. Sports water bottles for $10 and decals for $3 Show your Husky Pride! Want to avoid cc fees? You can purchase in the Main Office using cash/check.
Do you shop online? Shop AMAZON SMILE
When you shop smile.amazon.com, Amazon donates a portion of your purchase to your chosen charity- at no cost to you!! It’s Amazon’s way of giving back.
Just click this link to select Hillcrest High PTSA Utah as your charity, and then shop at smile.amazon.com
Did you know that only 217 Hillcrest parents have joined PTSA this school year???? WE NEED YOU!
JOIN Hillcrest High PTSA and support the parents, teachers, and students! Only $7
Or Drop off cash/check to the Main Office in an envelope with your name and contact info and “PTSA”
We love serving you and our school but we need more parents!
PTSA Board 2022-23: Pres- Rebecca Martin, Sec- Becca Staker, Treasurer- Chelsea Worth, VP Membership- Kayo Robinson, VP Advocacy- Stacey Kratz
Hillcrest 1 Week Calendar of Events:
HHS School Flyers and Events