HUSKY STRONG NEWSLETTER:
Hillcrest High School, Midvale, Utah
*In this Husky Strong, you will find information about: Upcoming Events, UCAW, Community Schools, PTSA Information, and Flyers *
Keep up with all that is happening at Hillcrest High School. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram (@hillcrest.huskies) and our SBO Instagram (@hillcrestsbo)
Halloween Day Dress Code Requirements
For those students who would like to dress up for Halloween day, they are more than welcome to, as long as they follow the guidelines listed below. Regular school rules regarding the dress code must be followed. This is a regular school day, and costumes must not interrupt student’s learning.
- No masks or face coverings. No props, canes, sticks, glow sticks, or weapon-like items of any kind are allowed. No fake blood or other substances that will spill or cause a mess will be allowed.
- Students may not wear anything suggestive or provocative in nature. No underwear as outerwear will be allowed.
- Nothing that promotes the use of illegal substances or activities, derogatory or disrespectful, or portrays violence.
- Students must show respect to other students by not touching, defacing, or insulting other students’ costumes.
- Students must show respect for others by not choosing costumes that are insensitive and/or offensive to the diverse backgrounds represented by others at our school.
SCHEDULE & EVENTS
End of 1st Quarter
October 30 – November 1
To view the school calendar, please click HERE.
We are Hillcrest
Utah College Application Week (UCAW)
Seniors! Utah College Application Week (UCAW) is October 30 through November 2 – Hillcrest will have representatives visiting from colleges and universities from across the state of Utah to help you fill out college applications and answer any questions you may have about the college experience. The best part? The college applications are FREE! You will need: your social security number (if you have one), your driver’s license/ID number (if you have one), and a list of your extracurricular/volunteer activities (if you have them). If you have any questions about UCAW, or would like more information, see your counselor or the College Access Advisor, Halle Meckl firstname.lastname@example.org
ATTENTION STUDENTS INTERESTED IN AP EXAMS: The deadline to sign up for your AP exams without incurring late fees is Wednesday, November 8th at 3:00 pm. Don’t put it off. Sign up for your AP exams now to avoid those late fees. If you need help, see Mrs. Williams in A139 in the counseling center.
Community Wellness Fair
November 8th, 5 pm-7:30 pm, is our annual community wellness fair! Join us for a fun night of free food, flu shots, childhood immunizations, free student haircuts, and community resources. All are welcome!
Win the Leavitt Lotto! Students can enter the Leavitt lotto with Husky Cards earned through teachers and staff. Instead of using husky cards at the husky hut, students can turn in their cards to the main office. Husky cards can be earned for being safe, responsible, respectful, good behavior, or grades. This month’s winners will be drawn on Friday, October 27. Good Luck!
Next week for our continuing focus on Digital Citizenship, students will be learning about Artificial Intelligence in their APP classes. Students will learn how artificial intelligence works and the benefits and challenges that accompany this technology. Continue the conversation at home about the role of AI now and in the future. A copy of the lesson can be found here.
Winter Clothing Drive
Our Hillcrest Seminary is doing a winter clothing drive to benefit our Hillcrest Free Market. Accepted items include new/gently used youth and adult sizes winter clothing items: hoodies, zip-up hoodies, winter coats, gloves, and warm hats. Please donate items by October 30th to the seminary building.
We are a Community School!
- Our Hillcrest Free Market provides food, clothing, laundry, and hygiene products for our students and their families. Students who want to visit the market must check in to student support in A171.
- Parents and families wanting to visit the Hillcrest Free Market will need to make an appointment with Liz Demke (email@example.com or 801-214-5611) Please be sure to check out our website or on instagram @hillcrestfreemarket for updates.
- We will be continuing our farmers market with fresh fruits and vegetables. The following are dates for our farmers market for 2023: November 1, November 15, & December 6.
- Our Thanksgiving help has opened. We will be submitting your information to an organization called Thanksgiving Heroes. This organization delivers uncooked Thanksgiving meal kits to your house on Saturday, November 18th. If you would like to sign up please click HERE or please contact 801-214-5611 for more information. Para información en español llama a 385-418-9490.
- Want to support our Hillcrest Free Market? Many of our most needed items can be found on our Amazon Wishlist found HERE or donate to our success fund found HERE.
Hillcrest Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA) is here to serve the families of our school.
Spirit Night at Zao Asian Café Ft Union location Thursday, Oct 26th! Plan to eat at Zao, and a portion of the proceeds will go to Hillcrest PTSA! Dine In- SHOW THE FLYER (below) ON YOUR PHONE.
For online or app orders, use promo code 7350 at checkout.
Reflections Art Contest- Theme is “I am Hopeful Because…” The due date will be October 30th.
Students are invited to create original works of art in the categories of Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, 2D Visual Arts, and 3D Visual Arts.
LAST CHANCE TO ENTER!!!- will accept entries until Oct 30th!!
PTSA Meeting – Wed Nov 1st, 1:00 pm in the conference room. Please come and find out what exciting things are happening at Hillcrest!
JOIN PTSA- don’t have time to volunteer but still want to support the school? JOIN PTSA!! Only $7
https://hillcresthuskies.memberhub.com/store Or Drop off cash/check to the Main Office in an envelope with your name and contact info and “PTSA.”
Husky Blankets for sale! $75 for a super plush blanket. Sports water bottles for $10 and decals for $3. Show your Husky Pride! Want to avoid cc fees? You can purchase in the Main Office using cash/check.
PTSA Board 2023-24: Pres- Rebecca Martin, Sec- Becca Staker, Treasurer- Chelsea Worth, VP Membership- Kayo Robinson, and VP Advocacy- Stacey Kratz