HUSKY STRONG NEWSLETTER:
Hillcrest High School, Midvale, Utah
Welcome Back, Huskies! We are excited to start a new school year with you!
*In this Husky Strong, you will find information about: Upcoming Events, Husky Howl, Senior Updates, Winter Clothing Drive, Community Schools, PTSA Information, and Flyers *
Keep up with all that is happening at Hillcrest High School. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram (@hillcrest.huskies) and our SBO Instagram (@hillcrestsbo)
Check it Out. Hillcrest was Featured as the “Cool School of the Week” on Fox 13.
SCHEDULE & EVENTS
Husky Howl Dance
October 13 (7 pm-10 pm)
Fall Break (No School)
End of 1st Quarter
October 30 – November 1
To view the school calendar, please click HERE.
We are Hillcrest
Picture retakes are on October 17th! If you would like to still order pictures, please click the following link HERE. Use the code F202310OFF for 10% off your order.
Friday, October 13, is our Husky Howl in the HHS Commons for all grades! Tickets will be sold during lunch for $10 a person. Tickets will be $15 per person at the door.
School Dance and Halloween Day Dress Code Requirements
For those students who would like to dress up for the Halloween Dance (Husky Howl) or Halloween day, they are more than welcome to, as long as they follow the guidelines listed below. Regular school rules regarding the dress code must be followed.
- No masks, and no more than 50% of your face can be painted. NO props, canes, sticks, glow sticks, or weapon-like items of any kind are allowed. No fake blood or other substances that will spill or cause a mess will be allowed.
- Students may not wear anything suggestive or provocative in nature. No underwear as outerwear will be allowed.
- Nothing that promotes the use of illegal substances or activities, derogatory or disrespectful, or portrays violence.
- Students must show respect to other students by not touching, defacing, or insulting other students’ costumes.
- Students must show respect for others by not choosing costumes that are insensitive and/or offensive to the diverse backgrounds represented by others at our school.
BE RESPECTFUL AND RESPONSIBLE!
Anyone who does not follow the Halloween Dance Dress Code will be subject to the dress code violation consequences or further disciplinary action such as a call home for a change of clothing, no admission into the dance, or removal from the dance. If you or your student have questions on whether their costume follows the dress code, please reach out to the Assistant Principal over your student. Please make every effort to keep this dance fun and safe for all students.
Win the Leavitt Lotto! Students can enter the Leavitt lotto with Husky Cards earned through teachers and staff. Instead of using husky cards at the husky hut, students can turn in their cards to the main office. Husky cards can be earned for being safe, responsible, respectful, good behavior, or good grades. This month’s winners will be drawn on Friday, October 27. Good Luck!
Congratulations to our 12 fabulous choir students who represented Hillcrest this past weekend in the UMEA All-State Choir at the Tabernacle. They were nominated for this honor for their dedication to the choir arts. Awesome job to the following students: Melissa Warner, Sarah Richardson, Jessica Young, Savannah Turley, Emma Weber, Hannah Fellows, Payton Bell, Joshua Digerness, Cooper Cox, Max Sperry, Carson Gord and Carter Tice
Canyons School District recognizes the importance of and wants to celebrate Digital Citizenship for students of all ages as they navigate this increasingly digital world! To highlight this essential skill set, Digital Citizenship Week will take place October 16-18, 2023. This year students will be engaging in activities and discussions that empower students to seek balance in their technology use and be aware of their online actions. Connect with us throughout the week!
Utah College Application Week (UCAW)
Seniors! Utah College Application Week (UCAW) is October 30 through November 2 – Hillcrest will have representatives visiting from colleges and universities from across the state of Utah to help you fill out college applications and answer any questions you may have about the college experience. The best part? The college applications are FREE! You will need: your social security number (if you have one), your driver’s license/ID number (if you have one), and a list of your extracurricular/volunteer activities (if you have one). If you have any questions about UCAW or would like more information, see your counselor or the College Access Advisor, Halle Meckl email@example.com
The SLCC Multicultural Conference field trip will be held on November 10, and the UVU Diversity in Leadership Conference on October 17. It is open to Juniors and Seniors – if you are interested in attending, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jordan High School has extended its “Puertas Abiertas” to our Hillcrest families. Jordan High is hosting a Spanish college informational session on October 26th starting at 6:30 pm. The session will include free dinner and informational sessions. Speakers will include the University of Utah and Salt Lake Community College Dream Centers. These centers help undocumented students find ways to access college. Jordan High School is located at 95 Beetdigger Blvd in Sandy.
Winter Clothing Drive
Our Hillcrest Seminary is doing a winter clothing drive to benefit our Hillcrest Free Market. Accepted items include new/gently used youth and adult sizes winter clothing items: hoodies, zip-up hoodies, winter coats, gloves, and warm hats. Please donate items by October 30th to the seminary building.
We are a Community School!
- Our Hillcrest Free Market provides food, clothing, laundry, and hygiene products for our students and their families. Students who want to visit the market must check in to student support in A171.
- Parents and families wanting to visit the Hillcrest Free Market will need to make an appointment with Liz Demke (email@example.com or 801-214-5611). Please be sure to check out our website or on instagram @hillcrestfreemarket for updates.
- We will be continuing our farmers market with fresh fruits and vegetables. The following are dates for our farmers market for 2023: October 18, November 1, November 15, & December 6.
- If your student needs glasses, we will have a free Mobile Vision Clinic for Hillcrest Students on October 17th. To sign up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit student support in A171 for a permission form. This clinic is for students who could otherwise not afford prescription glasses.
- Our Thanksgiving help has opened. We will be submitting your information to an organization called Thanksgiving Heroes. This organization delivers uncooked Thanksgiving meal kits to your house on Saturday, November 18th. If you would like to sign up please click HERE or please contact 801-214-5611 for more information. Para información en español llama a 385-418-9490.
Hillcrest Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA) is here to serve the families of our school.
Spirit Night at Zao Asian Café Ft Union location Thursday, Oct. 26th! Plan to eat at Zao, and a portion of the proceeds will go to Hillcrest PTSA!
HUSKY HERO– Monthly, the PTSA names 2 students per grade as Husky Heroes. They win a prize package, including a Husky Hero throw blanket. **NEW**The 2 Seniors will win a PARKING PLACE for the month near the main entrance.
October Husky Heros are
- Freshman – Ethan Booth
- Sophomore – Mia Cabezas and Atticus Bradley
- Junior – Gen Boles and Sanai Jose Villegas
- Senior – Anna Ames and Ashima Puri
**Pick up your prize in the Main Office**
Looking for students who help others, are kind, improve school unity, or overcome obstacles. NOMINATE A STUDENT for Husky Hero TODAY!! Anyone can nominate:
Student Service Club- Thurs Oct. 11th, 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm
Does your student need service hours or just want to get involved? Students are invited to come to the opening meeting of the PTSA Student Service Club on Thursday, Oct. 11th, from 2:30-3:30 in the Conference Room (across from the counseling center) to discuss service projects for the year! Click the link below to join and get a reminder about the meeting!
Reflections Art Contest- Theme is “I am Hopeful Because…” The due date will be on October 25.
Students are invited to create original works of art in the categories of Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, 2D Visual Arts, and 3D Visual Arts.
JOIN PTSA- don’t have time to volunteer but still want to support the school? JOIN PTSA!! Only $7
Or Drop off cash/check to the Main Office in an envelope with your name and contact info and “PTSA”
Husky Blankets for sale! $75 for a super plush blanket. Sports water bottles for $10 and decals for $3. Show your Husky Pride! Want to avoid cc fees? You can purchase in the Main Office using cash/check.
PTSA Board 2023-24: Pres- Rebecca Martin, Sec- Becca Staker, Treasurer- Chelsea Worth, VP Membership- Kayo Robinson, and VP Advocacy- Stacey Kratz