HUSKY STRONG NEWSLETTER:
Hillcrest High School, Midvale, Utah
Welcome Back, Huskies! We are excited to start a new school year with you!
*In this Husky Strong, you will find information about: Upcoming Events, Parent Teacher Conferences, Sterling Scholar, Winter Clothing Drive, Work-Based Learning, Community Schools, PTSA Information, Flyers *
Keep up with all that is happening at Hillcrest High School. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram (@hillcrest.huskies) and our SBO Instagram (@hillcrestsbo)
SCHEDULE & EVENTS
Parent Teacher Conferences
To view the school calendar, please click HERE.
Parent Teacher Conferences
We are looking forward to our upcoming parent-teacher conferences. Parent-teacher conferences are a great opportunity to connect with their student’s teachers. Parents can talk to their student’s teachers about attendance, grades, behavior, and any other concerns. Conferences will be held over two days. The first day, Monday, September 25th, will be an in-person day. The second day, Tuesday, September 26th, will be a virtual day with Zoom conferences only.
In-Person Conference Night Information: Sept. 25: 3:30-7:30 pm
- Spanish interpreters will be available on each floor of the building. Arabic interpreters will be available in the HHS Commons.
- Please check your student’s schedule for room numbers and teachers so that you can more easily find your way around the school. We will have staff available in the commons to help with schedules and guidance to classrooms.
- Teachers will be located in their classrooms unless otherwise noted
Virtual Conference Night Information: Sept. 26 from 3:30-7:00 pm
- Please click HERE for the teachers’ Zoom links
- You will be placed in a virtual waiting room when you log on to the teacher’s Zoom. There may be a wait time until the teacher lets you in. If a password is required, that is also available on the website.
- Families can attend the school on the virtual night to receive virtual support. Meetings with teachers will still take place on Zoom, but we will have available technology to use. Interpreters for Spanish will be available. We will have other interpreters as requested during this day.
- If you experience any technical difficulties, please call the front office, and someone will get back to help you at 801-826-6000.
If you need assistance with other languages during parent-teacher conferences, please call or text 385-418-9490 with your name, student name, and language needed before parent-teacher conferences.
Free flu vaccines will be available on both days.
School Safety Instruction Video
Teachers will show a school safety video during APP to students on September 21st. This video explains the Run, Hide, Fight drill. This drill is a district-endorsed response to active inside threats. Please view and review the video with your student. Please click the following link to view the video: Run, Hide, Fight Video
Attention Seniors! It is that time of year! Sterling Scholar applications are now available from Mrs. Carlton-Johnson, room 411. The applications are due back to Mrs. Carlton-Johnson by September 28th at 3:00 p.m. Please contact Mrs. Carlton-Johnson at email@example.com if there are questions.
Financial Aid Night
Financial Aid night will be held in the Presentation Room, A115, from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm on September 25. Open to parents and guardians of senior classmen wanting additional information about financial aid and financial aid resources.
The UVU Multicultural Student Services Center will be at Hillcrest on October 11 during APP in the hosting room to give a presentation to students interested in UVU. They will also include resources available for international students.
The SLCC Multicultural Conference will be held on November 10 and is open to Juniors and Seniors – more information about the event will be available soon.
Hillcrest Seminary Drive
Our Hillcrest Seminary is doing a winter clothing drive to benefit our Hillcrest Free Market. Accepted items include new/gently used youth and adult sizes winter clothing items: hoodies, zip-up hoodies, winter coats, gloves, and warm hats. Please donate items by October 30th to the seminary building.
Work Based Learning
Juniors and Seniors are invited to come to the Pathways to Professions Career and Technical Education Showcase on October 3-4. Students will meet industry professionals and discover education pathways. This is a free event. To sign up for the field trip, please see Cher Burbank in A139 in the counseling center.
The Hillcrest Wrestling team is hosting their Brunson Brawl – Gridiron Grappling Fundraiser on September 27th at 7 pm! Doors open at 6 pm. They will have delicious food, raffle prizes, and lawn games. Join them for wrestling under the football lights!
We are a Community School!
- Students are able to come to the pantry before/after school and during lunch to pack a food bag each week. Please check in with student support. Parents and families will need to make an appointment with Liz Demke (firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-214-5611). Please be sure to check out our website or on Instagram @hillcrestfreemarket.
- We will be continuing our farmers market with fresh fruits and vegetables on Wednesday, September 20th, at 2 pm in the Cafeteria. The following are dates for our farmers market for 2023: September 20, October 4, October 18, November 1, November 15, & December 6
- If your student needs glasses, we will have a free Mobile Vision Clinic for Hillcrest Students on October 17th. To sign up, please email email@example.com or visit student support in A171 for a permission form. This clinic is for students who could otherwise not afford prescription glasses.
- Our Thanksgiving help has opened. We will be submitting your information to an organization called Thanksgiving Heroes. This organization delivers uncooked Thanksgiving meal kits to your house on Saturday, November 18th. If you would like to sign up, please click HERE or please contact 801-214-5611 for more information. Para información en español llama a 385-418-9490.
- Want to support our Hillcrest Free Market? Many of our most needed items can be found on our Amazon Wishlist found HERE or donate to our success fund found HERE.
PTSA Info for Husky Strong 9/13/2023
Hillcrest Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA) is here to serve the families of our school.
TWO Volunteer Opportunities!
Food for Faculty Meal before Parent/Teacher Conferences Mon Sept 25th
The PTSA provides a meal for 150 Faculty and Staff at Hillcrest before Parent/Teacher Conferences. PTSA is purchasing the main course, but we need help with cut up fruit and cookies.
If you would like to contribute cookies or cut up fruit, please sign up below. Food needs to be delivered to the school during the school day on Monday, September 25th – but NO LATER than 1:00 pm so we have time to get set up.
If you would like to donate money to help us purchase items, please donate at: https://hillcresthuskies.memberhub.com/store?limit=21&live=true
HEARING SCREENING VOLUNTEERS NEEDED Tues Sept. 26th, 7:45am – 10:15 am
Sign up below if you can help sign students in and keep the line moving. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B054DAFAD29A20-hillcrest4#/
HUSKY HERO– Monthly, the PTSA names two students per grade as Husky Heroes. They win a prize package, including a Husky Hero throw blanket. **NEW**The 2 Seniors will win a PARKING PLACE for the month near the main entrance.
Looking for students who help others, are kind, improve school unity, or overcome obstacles. NOMINATE A STUDENT TODAY!! Anyone can nominate: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc54eg7micj4K4LxvIapJp_IKai1_2JLYCovXOKxWFtUR-gqQ/viewform
HHS PTSA is looking for willing parents/guardians to fill the following positions:
Fundraiser Chair– oversees the selling of the blankets at school functions, like football games.
Grad Night Committees– parents of a SENIORS- we need committee chairs to head the following committees for the all-night party for our graduating seniors at Dimple Dell Rec Center. Super fun!! **Committees are Food, Activities, Publicity, Prizes, Security, Ticketing/Registration**
If you are interested in these or other positions or just want to find out more about what the PTSA does in high school, email Rebecca Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org
JOIN PTSA- don’t have time to volunteer but still want to support the school? JOIN PTSA!! Only $7
Or Drop off cash/check to the Main Office in an envelope with your name and contact info and “PTSA”
Reflections Art Contest- Theme is “I am Hopeful Because…” The due date will be in mid- October.
Students are invited to create original works of art in the categories of Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, 2D Visual Arts, and 3D Visual Arts.
PTSA Board 2023-24: Pres- Rebecca Martin, Sec- Becca Staker, Treasurer- Chelsea Worth, VP Membership- Kayo Robinson, VP Advocacy- Stacey Kratz
Husky Blankets for sale! $75 for a super plush blanket. Sports water bottles for $10 and decals for $3. Show your Husky Pride! Want to avoid cc fees? You can purchase in the Main Office using cash/check.