HUSKY STRONG NEWSLETTER:
Hillcrest High School, Midvale, Utah
*In this Husky Strong, you will find information about: Graduation, Summer Programs, Summer School, Summer Bridge Programs, PTSA*
Keep up with all that is happening at Hillcrest High School. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram (@hillcrest.huskies) and our SBO Instagram (@hillcrestsbo)
Thank you for a great year, huskies! This is our last Husky Strong for the year. We hope you have a great safe summer! Congratulations Seniors! Underclassmen, we hope to see you in the fall.
Attention Parents of Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior students.
On May 25th, students will not attend traditional classes due to the Graduation Ceremony. If your student does choose to attend, lunch will be served, and classes for all students will only be held in the STEM BUILDING. We welcome your student to attend, but as a reminder, it will not be a traditional day of school. The bus schedule will run as normal.
Friday, May 26th is an early out day at 11 am. No lunch will be served, and buses will leave at 11 am.
Upcoming Key Dates
SCHEDULE & EVENTS
May 25th at 9:30 am at the Maverik Center
Graduating seniors must arrive at 8:30 am)
See graduation reminders for more details.
Last Day of School
May 26th (Early out at 11 am)
Session 1: May 30 – June 8
Session 2: June 12 – June 22
M-Th: 8 am-12 pm in Presentation Room
Please see below for details
Summer Farmers Market
June 22nd and July 20th at 11:30 am on the west side of the school near the playground (Please see flier for more info)
Graduation Reminders (Seniors Only)
Congratulations Graduating Seniors! The class of 2023 Graduation ceremony will be held on Thursday, May 25th, 2023 at 9:30 am in the Maverik Center. Graduating seniors need to report to the Maverik Center by 8:30 am.
Please see below for important senior graduation dates:
- May 25: Graduation Ceremony, Maverik Center, 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Take pictures prior to the Graduation ceremony. Caps and gowns will be turned in immediately following the ceremony! Seniors need to be there at 8:30 am. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV8z3WxqU5g
- May 25: Underclassmen (9th-11th) will attend classes in the gym and stem building.
Congratulations to Hillcrest student Jayashabari Shankar. She will graduate with an International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma and graduate with a 4.0 GPA. She has earned $800,000 in scholarship offers and admissions to five Ivy League schools. Shankar moved from India to the United States at the age of one and speaks five languages. Jayashabari has chosen to go to Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). We are so proud of you Jayashabari! See more of her story HERE
We are a Community School!
All summer long, we will be collecting NEW tennis shoes (men and women, all adult sizes) and NEW backpacks for the next school year.
For questions, donation drop off or pick up details, or if your family/neighborhood would like to host a donation drive, please email email@example.com
Follow our Hillcrest Free Market Instagram to stay updated on community events and resources over the summer! (@hillcrestfreemarket)
During the summer, we will be continuing monthly meal bags and our farmers market. We will be distributing meal bags with fresh items on June 22nd and July 20th at 11:30 am outside of the Hillcrest Free Market. It is located on the west side of the building by the playground. It will be first come, first serve. Please see the flyer below!
Arena Schedule Change
Arena scheduling has opened for the 2023-2024 School Year schedule changes. It will then close at 11:59 pm on May 24, 2023. Please note that this is the only time you will be able to go on and make changes to your schedule for next year. Additionally, there may be some courses that are locked and cannot be changed. Finally, please be careful when changing schedules. If a class is full and you have already dropped the class, you may not get it back. Please be especially careful in changing core classes and classes needed for graduation.
If you need to make changes, refer to the directions below:
Arena Schedule Change Directions:
- Login to Skyward Family and Student access at www.skyward.canyonsdistrict.org
- Click on the “Arena Scheduling” link under the student’s name.
- View your current schedule by clicking the “view/print schedule” link in blue near the top of the page.
- If your schedule looks good, you don’t need to do anything.
- If you would like to make a change, plan which classes to switch before you delete a class.
- To add a class, select “Search Options” and then click “Apply Filter” to locate a course by name, period, subject, or teacher.
- If there are seats available in the class you want, “Add” will appear. Click “Add” to put the class in your schedule.
- View your updated schedule again by clicking “view/print schedule.” Make sure all eight periods have a class selected. This means if you have an “add class here” in your schedule, YOU MUST FILL THAT PERIOD WITH A CLASS – DO NOT LEAVE IT.
Summer Football is almost here which means sign-ups for our camps and clinics are now LIVE! Please follow the links below to sign up for our High School, and Youth, football activities this Summer. Registration is required to attend all camps and clinics, so be sure to click the links below and register today!
- Strength & Conditioning Session 1: (June 5-9, June 12-16)
- Strength & Conditioning Session 2: (June 19-23, July 17-21)
- Padded Summer Camp: (July 10-14)
- Youth Football Camp – Grades 2-8: (June 26, 27)
Please email Coach Kaelin with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Students! Hillcrest will host two summer school sessions in the presentation room, 8 am-12 pm, Monday-Thursday.
- Session 1: May 30-June 8 (to sign up, click HERE)
- Session 2: June 12 – June 22 (to sign up, click HERE)
All classes will be in person. Each class completed is worth .25 credits. Grades earned in summer school are not for grade replacement and are for credit recovery ONLY. Coursework must be completed during the summer school sessions. Students must bring a charged Chromebook and charger each day. Bussing transportation will be provided at elementary schools. Please see the flyer for more information. Counselors will be available on Tuesday, May 30th, and June 12th to help with the registration of courses.
The Wasatch Health Science internship for seniors 2023-24
We are so excited to have this opportunity again for our students. Two students per semester will be chosen. Key things to be aware of:
- Students must drive or be able to get to all the internship sites and Corner Canyon for internship classes.
- The student must be immunized.
- Students are required to wear scrubs.
- Each selected student will be provided with the required documentation once selected.
- The internship is from 1:30-3 PM on Tuesday or Wednesday each week, depending on A day / Bday rotation- there will be an individual schedule for the student.
Please see Mrs. Cher in room A139 or email at Cher.email@example.com for an application.
Math Summer Bridge Programs
Canyons School District High School Math Secondary Honors Summer Bridge Course
If you are an incoming 10th grader who took Secondary I in 9th grade and would like to take Secondary II HONORS in 10th grade, this course is for you!
During this class, students will study the Pre-Calculus concepts taught in the Secondary I Honors course: vectors, matrices, determinants, Cramer’s rule, and operations on matrices and vectors. Students will need to show mastery of concepts through the end-of-course assessment.
The class will be held June 5th- June 15th Monday-Thursday (No class on Fridays) 9 am-11 am. Classes will be held in person at Jordan High School (95 Beetdigger Blvd, Sandy, Utah 84070)
To register, please click HERE. Registration closes Friday, May 26th at 5 pm. For more information, please contact Allison Duncan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
University of Utah Summer Mathematics Program for High School Students
The Summer Mathematics Program for High School Students at the University of Utah provides outstanding students an opportunity to develop their math talents to the fullest. Participants will receive three University credits in mathematics.
Classes will be held June 20th – July 7th Monday-Friday. For more information and to apply to the program, please click HERE. Applications close on June 1st. For more information on the program, please contact Sean Lawley (email@example.com)